Earl “Dallas” Broach, K/75 Ranger, KIA Aug 3, 1970

Earl David Broach

SP/4 – U.S. Army
4th Infantry Division —   Company K (Ranger), 75th Infantry
09 December 1950 – 03 August 1970
Dallas, Texas
Panel 08W, Line 78

Broach pic 1

Broach gravemarker


Service:               Army (Regular)

Grade at loss:   E4

Rank:                     Specialist Fourth Class

ID No:                   462901149

MOS:                       11B2P

Len Svc:               2 years

Unit:                     Company K (Ranger), 75th Infantry


Start Tour:         06/24/1969

Cas Date:             08/03/1970

Age at Loss:       19

Remains:               Body recovered

Location:             Phu Yen, South Vietnam

Type:                     Hostile, ground casualty

Reason:                 Other explosive device


Arnold Cemetery, Forest, Cherokee County, Texas


Silver Star (x2); Bronze Star; Air Medal (x2); Army Commendation Medal (x2)

Broach medals

On August 3, 1970, at the age of 19, on his second tour of duty in Vietnam, EARL DAVID BROACH perished in the service of

our country in South Vietnam, Phu Yen.

Link to Remembrances:    



Link to Personal Comments:  


Ranger Team Member, in Viet Nam

5/6/03 – by William B. Bullen

Earl “Dallas” Broach had come to K/75th Inf Ranger, 4th ID in the summer of 1970 and was sent to me as a replacement in Tuy Hoa, RVN. I was down with disentary and could not go on this particular mission. Dallas took my place as Assistant Team Leader, and point man. SSG Wm Wade was Team Leader. Wade had the team moving on an old trail, when someone or something tripped a mechanical ambush. Dallas being point man took the brunt of the explosion and was KIA instantly. I’ve carried this for 32 years, feeling that he may still be around if I’d been well enough to go on that particular day.

Thomas   Downs, on same team in Vietnam
4240 Wagon Wheel Ct Apt A Harrisburg Pa 17109 USA. Nov 15, 2012

A long time awaiting to talk to a team member in Vietnam.
Dallas i want you to know it has taken me some time to even talk about vietnam but that day I can never forget but I’d rather remember the times we had together and we talked about what home was like and when you found out I was born in Denton Tx we really hit it off…. I want you to know I will always remember you as a friend and a team member and a hero. I am very proud to be a little part of your life while in Vietnam… oh by the way you did like the chocolate chip cookies my sister sent us.

Wyatt Shafter
19262, Bob-O-Link Drive, Miami, Fl., 33015, USA. Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My Friend. My Point Man, My Friend & My Hero, FOREVER

Earl David Broach, (Dallas) The first time, that we had contact with each other, was when you stepped on me, while you were trying, to move Delta, Co., in the dark, through our night location, in the Tea Plantation. I had a few choice words for you, that night & all I heard from you, was that, you were sorry. Later on you were transfered, into our Recon., Team, with the 4th, Inf., Div., It only took the two of us, a very short time after we met, that night in the barracks to become the best, of friends. You were my Point Man, for the 2nd, Squad, but much more for me, you were someone, that I could trust, my life to & also have you, as my friend. For the next few short months, that we were together there, was a bond, between the two of us, that could never be broken. Both, of our lives were, in the others hands & we, always looked out, for each other no matter, what the situation was, that we, were faced with. Then the 4th, Inf., Div., was sent home & we along, with the rest of our Recon., Team, were sent to different places, to full fill our tour, of duty. Pleiku Airport, was the last time, that I, ever saw you. In May of 1970, I came back to the World. (HOME) In July, 1970, you called me from Dallas, TX. & told me, that you were home, on leave & would be going back, to Vietnam soon, as a LRP.. (Long Range Patrol) On August 6th, 1970, I recieved a call, from your sister, Sharon, telling me, that you had been Killed In Action, on August 3rd, 1970. I hung up the phone, that day in deep sorrow, from what I had just heard. I forgot, to get your sisters phone number, that awful day. From August 6th, 1970, I’ve tried to locate any friends, or family, of yours with no luck. On February 4th, “2005,” 35, years later, I finally made contact, with your Mom & Dad. I have been in touch with them, many times & our conversation always turns, to YOU. Earl David Broach, or as I knew you, as Dallas, you have always been my Point Man, through my life & you will always, be my FRIEND.



EARL DAVID BROACH was a friend of mine, though his friends called him David.  He was a few years older than me, but we went to the same high school and church and spent a lot of time together as he liked to mentor the kids younger than himself.

David was not drafted into the Army, he voluntarily enlisted shortly after graduation from W.W. Samuell High School in Dallas, Texas. He wanted to be a soldier, he wanted to be in the Army, and he wanted to be a Ranger Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol – one of the most dangerous jobs in the Army.

He completed one tour of duty, then came home in May of 1970 for leave. All of his friends were thrilled to see him again, and to see him in that uniform, well, it was a thrill for a young girl because David was good looking!

A bunch of us went out to eat at Denny’s one Sunday before he left for his second tour and we had a great time. Who would have known that only a few months later, he’d be coming home as a fallen hero?

I was devastated; WE were devastated, as was his family (also members of our church).

As a member of the church’s youth choir, one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do was sing at David’s funeral. I held my dear friend’s hand — who had also been a life-long friend of David’s and his family’s — and we cried our way through singing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” which his parents had requested.

I think of David often, and especially on Memorial Day, Easter, August 3rd, September 12th and Christmas. He touched so many people, including his fellow soldiers.

In more recent years, I’ve discovered that during his time in the Rangers, he was given the nickname “Dallas” instead of “Tex” because his unit already had a “Tex.” David himself suggested “Dallas” — and that’s what his buddies called him. He got along with everyone in the Army just as he did in civilian life. In other words, everyone loved David — or Dallas.

I’ve read in several places that David was not meant to be on point on that four man LRRP that day, but the soldier who was scheduled to go was very sick and Dallas  VOLUNTEERED  to take his place. The soldier who was sick survived the war, returning home. Again, I’ve read that he has felt overwhelming guilt since that day — over 40 years ago — and believes that had he not been sick, Dallas would still be here.

I don’t know that Ranger’s name, but I wish I could tell him that I know David — or Dallas — would never blame him. The Rangers was one of the most perilous units of the Army and they knew the risks going in.

Dallas would tell that Ranger not to worry, to stop blaming himself and to forgive himself, because Dallas is at peace and never blamed him. Yes, he died young, but he died a soldier, a Ranger; doing what he had so wanted to do. He would never blame anyone for his misfortune, and neither would his family. They were and are all very good Christians.