Steven George, 2nd Bde LRRP and K/75 Ranger, passed away February 7, 1975


October 5, 1947 – February 7, 1975

Steve was born in Salt Lake City, UT on the 5th of October, 1947 to William Homer George (1911-1993) and Clema Lenora (Barker) George (1913-1975), devout Mormons.  Steve had four sisters and two brothers.  One sister, Julene George (1963-1963) lived less than 24 hours. Two of his sisters, twins, Marilyn George Gardner and Carolyn George Wood were the oldest, both born in 1937.  They died within days of each other in December of 2008.  Steve had two brothers, Richard L. George who remained in Salt Lake City, and brother William Bryan George who relocated to Valencia, CA.  His sister Sue Annette (George) Cook lives in Scottsdale, AZ.

Steve was a standout basketball player for Highland High School in Salt Lake City, UT.  He was instrumental in propelling the team to be the Utah State Champions in his senior year, 1966.  His high school friends remember him fondly as popular and a “really good guy”.  By far, the greatest challenge Steve undertook was to enlist in the Army and volunteer to join the 2nd Brigade LRPs of the 4th Infantry Division, later to be re-designated Company K (Ranger), 75th Infantry (Airborne).  The Central Highlands of Vietnam became the new “court” for him to display his championship character and abilities once again.  Steve served his time patrolling some of the most perilous areas in Kontum Province harboring a most dedicated enemy force. Steve, and the teams he served on, contributed immensely in identifying and eliminating enemy threats.  Steve was courageous in battle and could be counted on to perform his missions in a tradition begun by Rangers past, continued today and held as a creed for our warriors of tomorrow.

Steve returned to his hometown in Utah from Vietnam in 1969.  He ran his family’s Auto Service Station for 3 years before suddenly passing at the age of 28.  Steve earned the wonderful dreams he had for his own family, yet it was not to be. It is reported that he slipped while getting out of the shower onto a slippery bathroom floor.  While he died at home, unattended, there is no doubt that last extraction was made with his previously deceased brother Rangers walking point.  We, who remain, continue to honor his memory and his dedication while fighting by our side.

He was laid to rest in Larkin Sunset Gardens Cemetery, Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah